BethAnn Telford is no stranger to challenges. A marathoner for the last 15 years, BethAnn was diagnosed with brain cancer in 2005. She’s had several brain surgeries over the years and told us active cancer cells still affect her body in a number of ways, but she’s still pushing to accomplish amazing feats.
Most recently, she completed the 2017 World Marathon Challenge, which is seven marathons on seven continents in seven days. In our latest episode, hear BethAnn talk about those races, her cancer diagnosis, and her work raising funds for pediatric cancer.
More on Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure (ABC2):
ABC2 is a DC-based nonprofit organization that drives cutting-edge research and treatments for brain tumors. ABC2 was co-founded by philanthropists Steve and Jean Case (who started the Case Foundation in 1997) and Stacey Case after Steve’s brother (Stacey’s husband), Dan, succumbed to the disease after a fight with brain cancer. ABC2 has awarded more than 100 grants totaling more than $20 million in brain tumor research funding to highly qualified investigators and physician-scientists from 54 institutions.
More about the World Marathon Challenge 2017:
– 33 competitors from 13 countries (25 men, 8 women)
– BethAnn was the only American female competitor
– 4 competitors with health challenges ran in 2017: BethAnn Telford (brain cancer), Sinead Kane from Ireland (blind), Luke Wigman from Great Britain (British soldier badly injured in Afghanistan), Ibrar Ali from Great Britain (British soldier badly injured in Iraq)
– Competitors in the World Marathon Challenge will spend about 59 hours in the air flying 38,000 km from the start point in Antarctica to the finish in Australia
– Successful participants will ran 295 km or 183 miles in total.
– More on the challenge on the World Marathon Challenge website
2017 World Marathon Challenge Provisional Schedule & Destinations:
18-Jan: Arrive at Punta Arenas, Chile
19-Jan: Pre-Departure Briefings for Antarctica
20-Jan: Flight to Marathon location at Union Glacier, Antarctica
21-Jan: Antarctic Acclimatization
22-Jan: Cold Weather Gear Testing
23-Jan: Marathon in Antarctica + Flight to Punta Arenas
24-Jan: Marathon in Punta Arenas + Flight to Miami
25-Jan: Marathon in Miami + Flight to Madrid
26-Jan: Marathon in Madrid + Flight to Marrakech
27-Jan: Marathon in Marrakech + Flight to Dubai
28-Jan: Marathon in Dubai + Flight to Sydney
29-Jan: Marathon in Sydney + Celebration
30-Jan: Rest & Relaxation….Free to Return Home